Location: Sydney or Melbourne (based)
Overview: Responsible for country-level operations including fundraising, relationship
development, public relations, infrastructure, and team building.
About World Bicycle Relief
World Bicycle Relief (WBR) mobilizes people through the Power of Bicycles. We envision a world where distance is no longer a barrier to education, health services, and economic opportunity. Our robust Buffalo Bicycles are a cost-effective and reliable means of overcoming the challenges posed by long distances and systemic mobility challenges in developing countries.
We are a mission-driven, global not-for-profit that manages a highly-refined bicycle supply chain from design through final distribution. WBR employs an ecosystem approach, with the end-user and community at the centre of everything we do. This ensures that our activities are evidence-driven, and sustainable. We work collaboratively with field partners to design, test, and implement large-scale bicycle mobility programs. To-date we have distributed over 500,000 bicycles. Key results from include a 28% reduction in student absenteeism, 23% increase in farmer income and 45% increase in patient visits by healthcare workers.
Funding for these activities comes from individuals, foundations, corporations, and bilateral and multilateral donors. WBR has an innovative corporate structure with a wholly-owned for-profit subsidiary social enterprise that sells our Buffalo Bicycles to individuals, non-profits, private sector entities, and bilateral and multilateral institutions. This structure enables us to scale our impact, diversify our funding and magnify the impact of donations; reduces per unit costs through economies of scale; places the end-user at the heart of our efforts; and, because we operate within the rigors of the market, works in harmony with local economies.
WBR is a registered not-for profit in the USA (501c3), Canada, UK, Germany, Switzerland and Australia. We have supported programs in 20 developing countries, and have country offices, staff, and assembly facilities in Colombia, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
• Adapt and implement WBR Australia fundraising strategy to deliver against fundraising and awareness building objectives for WBR. Including:
o Developing partnerships with corporates, bike industry entities, and bike clubs
o Developing a program for major and mid-level donor fundraising through establishing and developing high level relationships and networks
o Determine and engage potential influencers, foundations and institutional partners for thought leadership and fundraising.
o Support global online global marketing campaigns, customize as appropriate for
Australia marketplace to generate a vibrant base of mass market/individual donors.
o Cultivate a community of peer-to-peer fundraisers and professional networks
• Liaise closely with the Board of Directors to cultivate supporters and collaborate on
strategy including leading quarterly board meetings.
• Manage, coach, and develop junior team member.
• Produce quarterly and annual fundraising targets and performance reports.
• Work with the Global Finance team to ensure that the organization has clear budgets
and forecasts as well as liaise with local accountants for annual audits as needed.
• Manage administrative activities as required including local legal, governance,
accounting, engaging consultants.
• Minimum 5 years’ track record of creating growth-oriented partnerships with proven
success in fundraising/sales in Australia
• Excellent written, and verbal communication skills – be able to influence, negotiate and
engage with both internal and external stakeholders
• Knowledge of social media, digital marketing and direct marketing including CRM
• Managerial, leadership, relationship building and ambassadorial skills
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and in coordination with a global
• Resilience, and the ability to foster a culture of mutual respect and collaboration across
the whole organisation
Please submit a resume and cover letter (both required) via our online application system: